Water damage and bacteria growth can begin within hours after you experience a loss. To increase your chances of a complete recovery, call Monroe Restoration as soon as possible. In the meantime, there are a few things you can do to ensure a more successful restoration.
What to do:
- Water damage and bacteria growth can begin within hours. Call Monroe Restoration immediately.
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Remove wet area rugs or other removable floor coverings. Do not attempt to start removing wall-to-wall carpet.
- Lift draperies off the floor, loop through a coat hanger and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Wipe furniture, prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Move photos, paintings and art objects to a safe, dry location.
- Do not remove books from shelves. Rather, pack them tightly to prevent warping of pages until a restoration professional can begin this specialized drying.
- Open drawers, closet and cabinet doors to enhance drying.
What not to do:
- Do not enter a room with standing water until electricity has been turned off.
- Do not use a regular household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not lift tacked-down carpet without professional help.
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or flooring.
- Do not disturb visible mold.